- Grease side of round cake pan with butter.
- line the base with non-stick baking sheet.
- Bring water in a large steamer to boil over high heat.
- Place eggs in a bowl of electric mixer and whisk for 3min until frothy.
- Add sugar. Continue to beat until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla essence.
- Carefully, fold in sifted dry ingredients 1/3 at a time. Keep beating.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Wipe the steamer cover and wrap a large tea towel to prevent water from the cover dripping into the sponge cake.
- Steam over boiling water for 40min.
Monday, September 20, 2010
CHINESE STEAMED SPONGE CAKE
Steamed sponge cake is moist and not so spongy. Not bad for a change.
( Chinese Steam Sponge cake taken from Google images)
5 large eggs
200g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda